Monday, November 17, 2014

Curbing "Some" Mischief


Happy Monday!

So, as you know, I've been known to cause quiiiite the mischief around here when Bosses leave for work.  I really miss them, so I panic, and think they're never coming back.....

....and then they come back.  And while I'm really happy that they're back, I also look around me at the rubble.  Oh yeah, I made that rubble.  Oh. No.

So now, I've been a member of "Project Sadie" for a few weeks.  For now, it's been a success- whew!  I'm finally being a rather good puppy (or did Bosses finally realize possible disastrous materials and remove them from my worksite)!  Mom has been lining my KONG with a spoonful of peanut butter everyday, which has been working well as a positive reinforcement.  Mom leaving is okay now, since I get good things when she goes!

The kitty overlord, Thor, making sure the "Staff" (or I call them "Bosses") are making the food correctly.
A few days ago, Mom saw a brilliant idea from her volunteer friend at RAGOM- now, most of it is common knowledge.  Her volunteer friend froze the KONG toys for her dogs, filled with a lovely little concoction! (You're probably saying "yeah, yeah, yeah, what else is new?" I'm Mom/Dad's first dog together, so this is all news to us!")  She mixes apples, peanut butter, plain yogurt, and water.  We did a little spin off this one, mixing plain yogurt, apples, peanut butter, and blueberries.  I'll show you what she did- I had to ask Mom to make these, since I don't have opposable thumbs. :)

If only we had more KONG toys.....
First, Mom washed all the fruits- gotta make sure that they're all clean.  You never know what's on those things!  After everything was squeaky clean, Mom cored the apple, then chopped it into little pieces so it would blend better.  The picture shows the skin, but she took the skin off shortly afterwards.

Mmmmm, apples!  After this picture, Mom took the skin off the apple and chopped it.
She put all the chopped apple aside in a little bowl (about 1 medium apple's worth), and put about 1/2 a little carton's worth of blueberries aside in a bowl.  Mmmmm, fresh fruit is so good!


After the fruit prep was done, she poured in a little bit of plain yogurt into the blender.  We're still in the experimentation process, so we started by adding a personal-sized container's worth of yogurt in there.  It seems like a reasonable amount.


Mom put the apples in first, and blended the apples and yogurt together.  The whirring of the machine makes me curious!



When the mixture was smooth, Mom then added the blueberries.  It was so cool watching the color change as soon as the blueberries started making their way to the bottom! :)


When the blueberries were mixed in, Mom also added in about a tablespoon's worth of peanut butter. YUM!  It has a slightly watery consistency, but it'll work for our purpose.  When it was thoroughly mixed, Mom set out the KONGs in...wait for it....

IKEA Kid cups!!!  Yes.  These things work perfectly for storing KONGs in the freezer!  The bottom little hole in the KONG practically seals on the bottom of the cup, and nothing spills.  Mom put mine in the freezer last night, and I'll get my first one to try when she leaves for work in a little bit.  How cool is that?!  A huge thank you to our volunteer friend for showing us this!  (Note: the ones that fit perfectly are a size large.  The one with the paper towel around the outside is a size medium, and still sealed.)

Size medium KONG with a paper towel around the edge.

Size large KONG- perfect fit!


 So, there you have it!  A brilliant realization!  The IKEA kids cups cost Mom and Dad about $1.99 or so.  Do you have anything that keeps you/your pet busy while the Bosses are at work?  Do you stuff your KONG with something different?

Until next time, we're working on getting more KONGs!  Mom says they're a bit spendy to buy 5 or 6 at a time, so maybe Santa will be kind to me this year.

Chow!

Snoopy's Dog Blog

22 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Now, does that make them the kings of kongs??? Slurpy!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the Queen of the KONG! :) Or at least two KONGs. ;-) It worked out amazingly!!! I literally spent hours licking the yogurt stuff out of the inside. It was perfect.

      Delete
  2. I really need to make frozen Kongs for the fluffies. I make homemade "frosty paws", but I never think to put the mixture in a Kong at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, homemade frosty paws sound really good too! We're as cold as icicles here anyways with our chilly weather, so we'll have to wait until summer for the frosty paws ;-) The KONG worked out perfectly- it took me hours to finish, and I was still licking the KONG when my Ma came home from work 6 hours later! :-P

      Delete
  3. Will have to try this for Kilo for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do it! I licked the yogurt out for what seemed like furrrrever. It worked out perfectlywhile Mom was out at work! :)

      Delete
  4. Mom goes to all that trouble. SHE REALLY LUVS YOU.
    Luvs Freya Rose Blossom X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope she loves me! Seems like it! :) She also wants to keep me from eating the carpet off the stairs like I did previously. Oops. :-P

      Delete
  5. What a great idea!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We have to give credit to our volunteer friend who gave us this brilliant idea. She was the one who thought of the IKEA cups and mix!

      Delete
  6. Great idea! Thanks for reminding us to do this as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And no problem- I get into the trouble and find solutions so other people can prevent the terror from ensuing in their home! :-P

      Delete
  7. We do not have this trouble at all. Our pawrents don't ever go to work. Those are some good ideas though. Anything with peanut butter or bananas is good!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are some lucky dogs! We're going to try some banana in there next time- that's a great idea. I wish my pawrents didn't work.......maybe someday!

      Delete
  8. Crikey Saidie Bear ...... your Mom and Dad must be fast learners or maybe you're just a brilliant teacher. They're doin' real good for never owning one of us before, aye??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom grew up with a Golden/German Shepherd mix, so she's used to the doggie thing, but Dad? He's never owned a dog. He's loving it, though, or so I'd like to think! Haha! They have fostered a bunch of dogs, and their volunteer friends are FANTASTIC at helping with any sort of problem! It's a wonderful network to have when there are little issues to fix- better to fix them when they're small problems so they don't grow any bigger! :)

      Delete
  9. OMD OMD SADIE..... your mom is a GENIUS... these look and Sound WONDERFUL. WE are very much PROUD of your mom... and Happy fur YOU.. since you get to enjoy the Fruits of her Labor... Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, guys! The genius is really our volunteer friend/foster mentor who realized the cups and the KONGS work well together. :) She's the genius at hand! I thought we just needed to share it with the world since it was just SO brilliant. :)

      Delete
  10. Wow! Headed to Ikea this week, this is a fabulous idea! Thanks. And Sadie, Harley and I are so proud of you, keep striving to make your bosses happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying so hard to be a good doggie! :) If I'm a good doggie, then I get bigger and better opportunities! Or so they keep telling me. ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! You're "paw"some. I do my best to respond to my "fan mail" within 24 hours of it being received, but please be patient- my paws are pretty clumsy at the keyboard! :)